Visualization of product portfolio
At Texas Instruments, I was part of very ambitious project of redefining product portfolio for users in product overviews pages on TI.com
To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study.
I created interactive graphical visualization for product portals so that users can easily visualize a portfolio and take the next step in selection in their user journey. This improved navigation across expansive portfolio and helped users easily select a device which wasn't earlier possible as the existing visual diagrams/infographics were static, had chaotic information and some didn't even adhere to TI's visual standards.
Disconnected visual representation of product portfolio in product overview pages caused roadblocks in navigation for TI.com users (seasoned electronic engineers, students of electronic engineering, procurement people from other companies who build using TI products).
Lack of a common data visualization standard for product portfolio. Existing data visualization were wide ranged - from x-y graphs, flowcharts, block diagrams etc.
Existing visualizations were unable to provide further interactions to the user for viewing the expansive portfolio which hindered information gathering and affected buying.
The visual design and UI interaction (x-y axis diagrams, product button colours and states)
of product portfolio visualization feature served as the base for creating a common component for product portfolios for rest of TI product categories.
Since the end portfolio diagram is now built as an html/css, its easy for page authors to make edits when a new product was added/removed. This saved a lot of time as earlier a visual designer had to manually create a brand new diagram and accomodate ad-hoc edits which was a time consuming process.
User testing results showed better page interactivity by users and they were able to explore sub-categories with ease resulting in a better user journey to the cart.
Translating the design to development came with least roadblocks. This was possible because I tried understanding the limitations and the possibilities by close association and conversation with dev teams beforehand. They knew exactly what to expect when the design was transferred to them for production. I also tried to provide them with files in formats like SVG which they could directly derive a code from and make edits thereby reducing dev time, understanding of the AEM page's 12 column grid made it easier to layout the diagram visual in the right aspect ratio and proportions.
Since the products are from a semiconductor space, it takes a while for non-electronic engineering background folks to understand product data. It took me a while to get a hang of the subject/topic which I feel was a bit time-consuming. I think it is more easier for people who have spend more time in this industry.